Confusion has rocked the New Patriotic Party in the Kwesimintsim constituency in the Western region following the aborted parliamentary primary which was expected to be held today.
Starr News’ Western regional correspondent Emmanuel Ohene Gyan reports that scores of NPP supporters who had gathered at the Obiri lotteries conference hall at Asakai junction to cast their votes are angry and have expressed disappointment after the election was suddenly called off.
The re-run for the primary in that constituency comes after an Accra High Court cleared Mr. Joseph Mensah, a contestant in the NPP primary in Kwesimintsim Constituency to contest in a fresh primary to be organised by the party, barely three months to the polls in December.
The court chaired by Justice Sophia Rosetta Bernasko-Eaash, gave the order that the election is to be done to elect the party’s parliamentary candidate in the coming general elections.
Judgment was made after the Court upheld claims by Mr. Mensah, that he was unjustifiably disqualified from contesting in the primary that involved the incumbent MP, Joe Baidoe-Ansah.
The ruling of the Court was that the party should allow Mr. Mensah to participate in the primary and any other future elections in the constituency, because his disqualification was not lawful and was against the tenets of the Constitution.
But Mr. Mensah speaking to Starr News’ Ohene Gyan said the NPP chairman for the constituency told him that the election had been called off and postponed to Tomorrow Tuesday, September 27 for no justifiable reason.
According to him, he was only informed on his way to the venue of the election.